Thursday, March 5, 2009

Doing my Part


I finally gave in and bought two recycled WalMart shopping bags. I have battled with the issue for some time. Not that I don't want to go green, it's just that I like the old plastic bags. I have always used mine more than once like for lunch bags, used kitty litter, and library books. Jensen uses them for overnight bags. They are very versatile.

There is also the stigma of being labeled a granola crunching, Birchenstock wearing, Subaru driving tree-hugger.

Is that really who I want to be?

I decide to go for it!

And I liked it!

I felt very responsible and trendy.

I am doing my part!

The negative side was that my $70 of groceries fit into two bags instead of 20.

The cashier seemed to have a hard time with them. I asked him if they hated the things. He was cheery and said they weren't so bad once you get used to them. Of course he looked the part of the granola crunching, Birchenstock wearing, Subaru driving tree-hugger.

Now I have a new totebag and a new identity.

The question now is what do I do with the used kitty litter?

5 comments:

nanamoo said...

I bought bags too...some for my car and some for my husband's car...and you know where they are half the time? On the bench by the back door! But the plus side is that I use them for tons of other things...taking junk back and forth to school previously and church and on other trips. I like them, but then again...we don't have a kitty.

Melody said...

Get rid of the cat? (That was a joke...)

Sandman said...

I believe in recycling only if I'm provided with a recycling bin. Our city doesn't provide one, so I don't recycle. I don't believe in global warming, it's a crock and a money maker for those trying to make me believe in it. I do believe in re-using my plastic grocery bags for trash can liners, doodie bags, lunch bags, dirty laundry on trips, stinky diapers, poopie drawers, vegetables from my garden to give to others, chicken parts, road trip throw up bags, and many many more things. I admire your desire to go green, but I think you are going to miss your Walmart bags!

Lugo's said...

We have about 8. We never remember to nring them. I put them in the car, someone takesthem out. They do make great sport bags.

pamsplace said...

yup, I bought bags...never have used them. We seem to use plastic bags for everything. well, dont send the cat litter to me