Thursday, March 19, 2009

I Believe!

I, Debbie Clayton, officially declare that I believe in miracles and guardian angels.

This is a letter that I got in my mailbox at work today. Included with the letter was a rather large sum of cash.

Dear Debbie,

Many years ago, I was in between jobs and having a difficult time financially. A man and his wife told me that the Lord had blessed them that year and they wanted to share their blessings with me. They handed me an envelope full of money that I desperately needed at the time. My grandmother taught me that even though I might not be able to repay every kindness shown to me, I could help others later when the Lord blessed me. I was never able to repay the couple who helped me, but I would like to pay it forward by helping you and your family.

Please accept this gift for your family. I wish God's blessings for you and your family.

There was no signature on the letter. The feelings that surged through me were overwhelming. First, was shock. I couldn't even count the cash. I just shoved it in my pocket. That was not the important part. The important part was that I have a friend who really cares and really loves me. Next, I felt overwhelming gratitude. At the same time I felt very undeserving. There are so many people that are having a hard time. I start immediately thinking of who I could give the money to to help out.I felt honored that they picked me to pay it forward to. I took the letter back to my classroom and tried to read the letter to my co-workers. I couldn't even get through the second line without starting to cry. I let them read it individually 'cause you know I don't cry.

At lunch I told some other teachers that I felt undeserving. They said not to because God had chosen me to bless at that moment.

Of course, my brain also starts churning and I try to think of who might have done the good deed. I thought that it could have been any number of people because those are the kind of people I work with. Maybe someone dropped it off at the school. Those are the kinds of friends I have. I can think of a lot of people who would give me the shirt off of their back. I am so blessed. I decided to abort my sleuthing. The person that left it wanted it to be anonymous.

I graciously accept the gift and the blessing. I can't wait to pay it foward.

P.S. To top off my day I won Kristen's cookies!

P.P.S. Melena hurt her back. She is crying about it and wanted me to put it on my blog.

7 comments:

nanamoo said...

That is wonderful!

Sandman said...

That is so cool. What a great blessing!

Liz said...

Deb, this is so cool. I'm so happy for you. This is a story you will be able to pass down in your family for many generations -- love you. Liz

Megan said...

What a story! That is so amazing! :)

Melody said...

Great, great, great!

Lugo's said...

You deserve it. You always make me laugh and lighten my day.

pamela shofkom said...

wow, what a neat story!! Wish it was me that did it but Im looking for my own miracles. I am so happy for you. Make sure this goes in your journal