Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Southern Virginia University


On Saturday, Mom, Madison and I got up and went to the Open House at SVU. They gave basically the same presentation that they gave at the Open House in Orlando. We got to meet the art teacher, Brother Himes. He said he would meet up with us after lunch and show us the art studio. We went on a tour of the campus. It is very small but very cute and quaint. Madison kept remarking that some spots were kind of frumpy. I reminded her that the building was over two hundred years old.

The weather was so hot that we had sweat rolling down our backs. Very few of the buildings were air conditioned, including the dorms. I told Madison that I did not know id she would be able to attend school there since it was so hot. She gets sick if she gets over heated. She said she would be ok and she even wanted to stay in the Main Hall which has no air. One of the students said that the first week of school was almost unbearable but after that, you get used to it. I talked to one gentleman and he said that they were actually looking into putting in AC and the AC guy had said that it was doable. Yeah!

Madison got her checklist and everything was checked except for her high school transcript. She had called the high school the week before we left and they had assured her that they had sent it. We set up an appointment to talk to the admissions office later in the day to see if it had passed us in the mail.

After a delicious lunch, we met the art teacher at the art studios. Actually, he wasn't there yet so we let ourselves in and snooped around. It was so cool. It reminded me of Lew's studio days at BYU. Madison is going to love working there. The teacher showed up and I told him that Madison had her portfolio in the car. When we showed it to him he seemed impressed and told Madison to apply for an art scholarship. He said that even though the deadline had passed, there was still money to be had.

We went to admissions and the lady said that she did not receive Madison's transcripts. I wanted to scream. It was hot and I was tired and the high school said they had sent it. She could have been admitted today.

Later, when I had my wits about me, I realized that just because we were on vacation did not mean that everyone else was. Duh! We could have Lew go to the high school and watch them fax the transcripts and then we could get her admitted on Monday.

We stopped at the Campus Store and bought t-shirts. We were assuming that she would be admitted. We were throwing positive energy out there.

Mom made us a delicious dinner then we drove over to Lexington to check out the motels. Madison and I were going to stay the night Sunday and then fly home late Monday night.

Lexington was not a bad drive; like driving from Eustis to Tavares. They had plenty of decent motels there. Lexington is a cute town, too. There are about three Universities within blocks of each other. Virginia Military Institute and something else, I can't remember.

The second night of camping out was mucho better.

No comments: