Sunday, May 17, 2009

They Like Me, They Really Like Me

On Thursday, a few of us met with our principal and found out that we might not be rehired next year. A job that I was qualified for and would have allowed me to stay at my school was given to someone less qualified. There were other factors that were involved in the story but I will spare you, dear reader. I was quite upset and found it difficult to focus the rest of the day. I vented with a few of my colleagues. Without my knowing, they wrote a letter that a bunch of them were going to sign and present to the principal. I found out about it and asked that they not do it. I didn't want a confrontation with the administrator because I will need her as a reference and might need a job from her in the future. I tracked down the letter and the author gave a copy to me. I was so moved and touched by it...beyond words. I share it, not to be self-aggrandizing, but as a reminder to myself of my talents and abilities. I am sure I will need a shot of self-confidence if I have to look for employment elsewhere. I also share it for my posterity so they will realize how super awesome their great-great-great grandmother was. (LOL) The letter follows...


As teachers of Eustis Elementary School, we are all very much aware of how difficult it is to plan for a new school year and how the additional complications this year make it so much more stressful and difficult for you as an administrator. However, we are requesting that you reconsider your decision to not rehire Debbie Clayton for the 2009-2010 school year. Not only is Debbie an excellent teacher with an uncanny knack for recognizing a student's true strengths and weaknesses and finding solutions for the many challenges they both face and produce, but she consistently goes above and beyond what anyone could ever expect of her to assist her colleagues in every way possible. She always does so with grace, a positive outlook, an even an occasional joke, which definitely goes a long way towards alleviating the normal tension in the workplace. When a student or a fellow teacher is faced with a problem, Debbie is always the FIRST person to step forward to offer a helping hand.



More importantly, Debbie possesses an additionall talent the EES will sorely miss next year. Debbie has technological expertise that far exceeds what most of us possess. since we will be losing the services of Carolyn Twaddle next year, we are going to need someone on staff who not only has the ability to assist with technological challenges, but who has that special gift of always wanting to help when someone else is struggling. That is the kind of personality that we need on staff at any time, but especially now aw we are forced to do without the support we have grown so accustomed to.



We are hoping that you will be willing to rethink your plans for next year and consider all of Debbie's talents and the needs of EES as you reconsider and allow all of us to benefit once again from having Debbie as part of the EES faculty.

8 comments:

nanamoo said...

What a wonderful tribute to a great person!

Melody said...

You're the BOMB!

Mary said...

Wow, the words say it all about what a wonderful person you are. That is something I hope you will save in your keepsake box.

Lugo's said...

They are just stating the facts. You are awesome!

Mooncandy said...

you should have let them turn it in so you could keep your job...

Sandman said...

I'll only write this only once, so come back and read it if you wonder what I think of you. It's not hard to believe what they have written about you. You are one of the kindest, caring(est), coolest, meanest, I mean funniest people that I have been blest to come to know. Heavenly Father is looking out for you and your family and will take you through this hard time. We'll keep you in our prayers.

pamsplace said...

wow Debbie, that was really great. You deserve better from your administration. Keep in mind when a door closes another window opens. Good things will come to you!!!

Danette Garrett said...

AMEN!!!