Friday, March 18, 2011

1000 times

But I say unto you; Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you. Matthew 5:44

I have heard this advice/counsel, at minimum, at least 1,000 times. I usually just skim over the verse and think, well I don't have any enemies, so I'm ok. Don't need this one.


Lo and behold, I heard it last week. Not in scriptural reference but as advice from a friend of a friend. I decided to employ it in my life and it worked like a miracle. It made me think of this scripture and that's when I realized I'd heard it 1,000 times.

I have been dealing with a lot with rage and, anger and, hate. (I think I have mentioned this 1,000 times). I don't like rage, and anger, and hate. I don't like who I am when they take over. A friend of mine is going through similar experiences of rage, and anger, and hate. (it's funny how my friends and I live a beneficially symbiotic life). She had a friend tell her that she had to pray for the person who offended her and incited this rage. And she had to pray every day for two weeks. Two weeks? Really?

I thought, "I should do that!" so began my prayers for a person who has offended me. The first time I prayed I felt an outpuring of love for that person. It was like a miracle! The rage is not gone but it certainly lessened tremendously. When I feel the rage coming on, I immmediately start praying for that person. Sometimes the prayer is very direct and out loud. Sometimes it's when I am driving in the car. Sometimes it's in the hallway at school or church. I pray for me to be calm, cool, and collective but, I also pray for that person. My life has been so much calmer. I hope that person's life is beeter beause I have prayed for them.

It really works. You should try it.

And if you and I are in conversation, and I say, "I'm going to pray for you." You will know that you have offended me or made me angry or despitefully used me.

It's funny how I hear things 1,000 times but it doesn't really sink in until my heart is open and ready for change and I'm humble and ready to be taught.

2 comments:

nanamoo said...

It is incredible how we have this capacity to learn that we haven't even begun to tap yet. LOVE this post!

Liz said...

Thank you for praying for me. I appreciate it.