I've been thinking about writing this blog since I watched, "Raising Hope" on Tuesday night. It's funny where we get our inspirtation. I love that show. The family is hysterically dysfunctional and it makes me feel better about my family, the one I was born into and the one I created. I don't think we can ever be that dysfunctional...or could we?
This episode was about the teen dad and his parents trying to get his baby to "self-soothe" and go back to sleep without being picked up and rocked back to sleep. The inspiration came in me thinking that is something I need to do, "self-soothe". Since going through divorce and the emotions it entails, I have indulged in some self-defeating activities that would be more in the line of "eat, drink and be merry" instead of self-soothing.
I've been eating whatever I darn well please. This is usually anything that includes sugar or carbohyrates such as, bags of Oreos and Cape Cod Kettle Cooked Potato Chips. I've been drinking an over abundance of diet coke, and not enough water. (Bet you thought I was going to say booze). And depending on others, like friends, Romans and countrymen, to bring me merriment. Really what I need to do is find merriment within myself. I need to be okay with just me, to find happiness independent of another.
I really don't mind being alone. I spent the whole day with just me. I did some things that needed to be done and some things that had to be done. I had a good time with just me, myself and I.
The part that I abhor is the loneliness. Ugh! It's killing me. Wo(men) are not made to be alone. I now understand why people go from one toxic relationship to another, they don't want to be lonely!
Ok, I think I got off track here with the loneliness. Back to self-soothing. Since no one is going to pick me up and rock me to sleep, some things that I came up with to self-soothe are: read, especially sciptures, finish a jig-saw puzzle that I started months ago, write in my journal, blog, listen to uplifting music, work on my vision board, work on my bucket list, write letters, pray, and hum my favorite hymn. Although I have a plethora of friends, they are not available when I'm lonely. I will use the aformentioned skills. And those countrymen, I just to need to leave them alone, but they are so enticing. Grrr!
2 comments:
I love that show too--no surprise, eh? Great minds and all that...Love you and wish I lived next door!!
I think you are amazing! You are such a strong women! Just thought I'd share. Love, Missy
Post a Comment