Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Peer Pressure



Tonight I succumbed to peer pressure. (My peer group being Jensen and Lew). We went to see Twilight. Does it count as Family Home Evening since the author is Mormon? I think so. The movie brought to mind some questions and concerns for me to ponder.

1. Does Bella ever close her mouth? Is that supposed to be sexy? All I could think was that at any minute a fly was gonna buzz in and never come out. Maybe she had a sinus issue and could only breathe through her mouth. Who wants to kiss that?

2. What's with Edward's pompadour? Pompadours make me uncomfortable. It's like, "Pass the creepy." I didn't like them on Elvis, Brandon or Dylan. I guess since vampires don't eat or sleep they have lots of time to play with their hair. I would prefer the tossled look of Heath Ledger or Owen Wilson. I guess because that is how I style my own hair.

3. Isn't Bella a co-dependent? Edward tells her he is a killer and she says, "That's ok." Listen here Missy, IT IS NOT OK!!!! Young Women, if a Young Man tells you that he is a killer, quickly turn around and high-tail it out of there. It reeks of women who marry men that are in prison, What?!? Bella needs to sign up for Co-Deps Anonymous. "Hi my name is Bella, I'm a co-dependant."

4. I wanted to be in love with Carlisle. All of you women who are in love with Edward...I worry about you. Unless, of course you imagine yourself at 17 and he is 17, then that's ok. I prefer the older men. According to the book, I pictured Carlisle as a hunk o'burnin' love. He wasn't. In fact, he reminded me of my own doctor. Who is cute, but not a hunk o'burnin' love.

5. Rosalie was not the most beautiful woman in the world. Why does Emmitt look like John Travolta? I fell for him as a high school teenager in Grease, but his glory days are over. He can't possibly be a high school vampire. And what about Jasper's hair. What the heck? It looks like they took my grandma's wig, parted it down the middle, gelled it up and said, "There, that looks good". And he being a new actor said, "Ok." Again, it is not ok! I liked Jasper in the book beause of his struggle of who he really wanted to be. In the movie, I am just embarrassed for him. I don't know if he will even get his SAG card for this, but if he does I hope he has the backbone to stand up for better hair.

As you can tell, I'm a visual person. I had their looks all planned out in my mind and I was wildly disappointed.

My rating is Wait For Video. Unless, of course, you've read the book. I know you won't wait so go ahead.

6 comments:

nanamoo said...

I am laughing my head off. I am going to see it tomorrow. I will keep my expectations REAL low.

Jordan Mathews said...

I love everything about it, their hair, the way they protrayed them, & the way Edwards body glistened in the sun light. But I do agree on the whole bella thing, I was breathing through my mouth whenever she spoke!

Mary said...

Oh my gosh, you always have the best things to say about books and movies. You look "way deep" into things. I do want to see it, but now I wonder?????? They say the book is always better. Maybe because we can picture a lot of things in our minds. Then the real movie has to go and ruin the movie that our minds had formed.

Danette Garrett said...

Don't look now, but there is a mob of angry torch and pitchfork wielding teenage girls chasing you because of your scathing review of "Twilight". Quick run for your life.

Megan said...

WHATEV!!! ur wrong it was awesome!!! and, yeah bella was a little freaky at times and they TOTALLY messed up the glistening body in the sunlight that was TERRIBLE! sorry Jordan, but they just blurred his face, it was supposed to look like gleaming diamonds! but it wasn't. but they can only do so much, so im glad with what they had. they had some wierd moments, but they also did a really good job at trying to match EVERY girls imagination... hey if ed likes girls who hang their mouth open...im gonna start trying that. i didn't know that guys thought that was sexy...lol

Megan said...

wow, that comment was more of a novel than a comment. i didn't realize it was so loooong, till i posted it. lol...