Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Amen

The 44th President of the United States of America. I'm 44 hmm...Michelle Obama turned 45 on Saturday. We're practically BFF. It's really weird to have a First Lady the same age as me. It's weird to have a President only three years older. I wonder if they like the BeeGees. I wonder if Michelle ever had feathered hair. I wonder if she wore leg warmers. I wonder if she went roller skating on a Friday night and could never get the hang of skating backwards. I wonder.

So here's my commentary on the Inauguration.

I think it would be blasphemous to criticize someone's prayer.

So I won't.

I'm fairly certain that the little Obama girl (Who I'm sure is more mature than me) and I were thinking the same things. She kept peeking during the prayer. She was probably thinking, "Amen". And I don't mean "Amen" as in the prayer is over and I agree with what was said. I mean "Amen" as in, "If I think it really hard, it will happen."

It reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me. She was the music director in Primary and one of the little boys (probably three or four at the time), when he would tire of the speaker or when he thought they should be finished talking already, he would say, "Amen". She would laugh everytime. To herself, of course.

Now when my attention wanders, which it often does, I think to myself, "Amen". I think the Obama girl was thinking the same thing. "Amen"

9 comments:

Higleys said...

Ben did that a few Sundays ago in sacrament. I hoped no one could hear him. He was done with the speaker and wanted the speaker to be done too. Amen

Melody said...

I'm not worthy to be your friend. You are WAY TOO SMART AND WITTY for me! I'm average, boring and plain as proven by my blog posts! :(

Danette Garrett said...

That's funny, I think Camryn felt the same about the whole event. They watched it at school and she told me that it just wasn't very interesting for her to watch.

debbie said...

Are you telling me I have the attention span of a five year old? I agree.

Sandman said...

Praise Be! I love that story! If I lived that principle out loud they would probably ask me to go back to the Holy Roller church I came from!

nanamoo said...

That started my day with a big smile! LOL

Lugo's said...

I felt that the prayers were more of a political speech than a prayer. I was saying to myself during the prayers: What in the world? So I guess I need to repent.

CatWoman said...

You... and you blog.... are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing. I LOVE the pix!!!! Cat

SpaceyKasey said...

I have missed you guys! I got your message on my blog and tried to call book club, but I was just a minute too late. :(