Friday, February 13, 2009

Catharsis

In my journey to become a minimalist, I have been sorting and purging...and burning. A few weeks ago, I burned a huge rubbermaid box full of college papers. I was finally ready to let go of the pain and tears. College papers took up so much of my time and money. I saw them more than I saw my offspring. They became a part of me. They defined me. They completed me. Now they are a pile of ashes and rubble. They no longer occupy my world. I feel like they were holding me back. Now I have room in my life for more joyous flotsam.


Tonight I performed another ritual. I burned boxes and boxes of papers I needed for my income taxes in case I ever get audited. I burned receipts from 1996-2001. What a release. I purused them before I set them aflame. I cried a little (not really) when I saw bills from Florida Power and Light, Sprint and BellTel. Now all of those businesses have different names.


I also saw a receipt from 1995 from Waterman Medical Center from when Parker busted his head open a church. Back in the day they had tables in the foyers with sharp corners on them. He was just the right height and ran right into one. He had to get stitches that day. We were leaving church to go to Tampa to go to Busch Gardens the next day. We made an exit to the emergency room and then carried on with our theme park plans. It was a treachorous day because I remember it was a torrential downpour. The car we had at the time had rusted out floorboards. When we would drive through a puddle the water would come through the back floors and soak the kids feet. Aww! Good times. I had to write this memory before I forget since I burned the evidence. I'm sure we have pictures somewhere but I haven't purged them yet. don't worry I'm not going to burn them. Just scan them.


Back to the burning, it felt good to rid my life of the clutter. I don't know why I am so dead set on becoming a minimalist. I feel like Heavenly Father is preparing me for changes in my life. I don't know what they are going to be, I gave up trying to figure it out or guess but, I will be ready.


1 comment:

nanamoo said...

Good for you...and I love the stories that your quest is inspiring :)