Saturday, February 7, 2009

Barbara Manatee





We set off to see the manatees this morning. Actually, this afternoon. We had to wait for Brittni to take her ACT. We arrived at the park around 2:00pm. They were closed because they were at capacity. No way! Aww!.

I told Jensen she would have to see the show at home. She didn't get it and I didn't bother to explain that her mother and father looked and moved like manatee. I just let it go. It must have been an "off" day for me.

We headed back to Velentine (appropriate for this time of year)Park that we had passed on the way in. The kids played on the payground and then we ate our picnic lunch. We decided to go back and maybe see the manatee from the road. We had seen some people lined up along the side of the road earlier. They must have just been huddling to decide what to do next because they had been turned away also. We drove until we couldn't drive anymore. At the end of the road was a small beach and boatramp. We played around there for a while. Walked in the woods, skipped shells, and wondered what had happened to the boy they had erected a memorial to. We were going to walk to the springs but we asked some other hikers and they helped change our minds. It was almost dusk and there was no way I was going to get lost in the woods.

I finally got through on the phone with Blue Springs. She said they would reopen as people started to leave but she didn't know when that would be. It was 4:00 at the time. We played around some more and then thought we would give it another whirl. Sure enough we were able to get in. Yea! We saw some manatee. Of course, the battery in my camera had died by this time. I got a few snazzy shots with my phone.

3 comments:

nanamoo said...

wow...what an adventure!

we went one year late in the season and hardly anybody was there except some rude "englishpeople" who apparently thought that the no swimming sign didn't apply to them!

Danette Garrett said...

Melena thinks you and she are best buddies. She didn't say she was going to see the manatee with Jensen - no she said that she was going to see the manatee with Debbie. I fear that you are replacing me as her best friend.

Sandman said...

Save the Manatee!

At first, when you said you took a walk in the woods, I thought you were going to say you went to visit him at work. He told me the other day that he had started working at the edge of the woods ... I'm sure you wouldn't have anyway because you wouldn't want him to lose that job too. All that being said, it sounds like ya'll had a fun good time.