Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pride and Prejudice

No, I'm not talking about a Jane Austen book or movie. I've never read one of her books or seen any of the movies. Although I think it's on Debbie Carter's bucket list to convert me to a reader of the books and a watcher of the movies, I have no desire. I don't know… the idea of men wearing ascots just seems so...um...fancy...to me.

What I'm writing about is more character flaws that I have found in my fearless and searching moral inventory of myself. Yep! That's right. I'm prideful. I don't mean the pride like as rational concern for my appearance or pride in my race or nation or sexuality. I don't mean pride as in haughty, "I'm better than you because I'm richer than you and have nicer things than you." (We all know that's not true). I mean pride as in, "I'm a better person than you."

Where does the pride come from? It comes from being prejudice. And by prejudice, I mean judgmental. The word prejudice has it's origins in the word judge. Prejudice makes for a better title for my post. Pride and judgment just didn't flow. So yeah, being judgmental is hard to admit. I have always “prided” myself on not being judgmental but really, I am. I don't judge others by the house they live in, the clothes they wear, the religion they practice, or the politicians they vote for. I don't judge someone because of their size, shape, color, race, ethnicity, or sexuality. Do you know what I judge others for? Their character flaws. I know, right? Who knew? Not me, until I did this inventory.

I have been judging another by their inability to be honest, their work ethic (or lack of), their temper, their need to be a victim, their selfishness, their inability to complete tasks, their inability to do the things I would like them to do or do them how I want them done, and their inability to meet my expectations. The list could go on and on but this is painful enough. This judgment leads to pride. Me thinking that, "I am always honest, I am a harder worker, I can control my temper at all times, I'm selfless, I can finish anything. You must do things my way for it is the only right way!" These things are just not true. I'm not always honest, I don't always control my temper, and I don't always finish tasks.

So why am I judging others when I walk imperfectly?

I have lot of reasons why, but really, none of them are acceptable. I just need to stop judging others. I think it is something that I am going to have to repent of/make amends for everyday.

And by judging others I mean one person in particular. I think I judge the ones I love and ones that are in my inner circle and the ones whose character flaws affect my life. Those are the people that I need to judge the least and just accept them for who they are.

3 comments:

Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

I love Jane Austen! I think her book, Emma, was the original romantic comedy. If you do pick up one of her books, I recommend that one. I also have a modern, LDS version of Pride & Prejudice on DVD...one of my absolute favorite movies!

So, I have discovered that we have a lot in common. One of the paragraphs in this post came directly from my brain. How did you do that?

nanamoo said...

Truly, you would love Pride and Prejudice and you can imagine them dressed however you like.

As for prejudice, I love what Elder Oaks has said in several instances...here is one:
http://lds.org/ensign/1999/08/judge-not-and-judging?lang=eng&query=judgment

Liz said...

Debbles, I love your honesty and soul-searching. And I love you.