As the school year ends, it is a time of reflection. It was a rough year to say the least, both emotionally and physically. I've had the privilege to work side-by-side with two of the most amazing people ever. (hyperbole) Last year, Katie Gates and Dave Harris were asked to start a pilot program that would target students who had been retained or failed at least one grade. This program would give them the opportunity to skip a grade and get back on track. The students were not necessarily retained or failed because of intellectual ability or disability. On the contrary, most had suffered some major life-altering personal tragedy and pretty much lost hope. Our job was to help them succeed and become reinvested in their education and to give them hope. The program was a great success. I was brought on board as the ESE teacher because some of the students did have an Individual Education Plan. Unfortunately, the program will not continue next year because the school is implementing a similar program handed down from the state (AVID). It's kind of sad because it does not target the same demographic and the type of students we had will not have the opportunity and will more than likely fall through the cracks. The new program targets GPA, economic status and students whose parents did not graduate from college.
When we started this year some of the guidance counselors did not understand the program and The Academy, as it is known, became a dumping ground for students with poor behavior. The teachers were not included in the selection process like we were last year. It was a rough crowd. We made it through to the end of the first semester and we were able to promote some students and were able to return some students to the regular classroom. It was a much better crowd after that.
We all three went through a lot of personal struggles. Katie and I both went through physical trials. She broke her foot and had surgery and some other stuff that I can't think of right now. I had the alien viral arthritis. Her divorce was final the day after mine. Most days she would give me a ride to school and we would act as each other's therapist. We shared a lot of tears and hugs. Dave lost a few family members in death. He was still dealing with the loss of his mother from last year. He had some other personal struggles but he was our rock. He picked up the slack that Katie and I left in our wake. And he never complained. We worked like a well-oiled machine. We had lunch together every day and laughed at the little world we had created. I couldn't have made it through this year without these two people.
When I was not re-hired at Eustis Elementary school, I was kicking and screaming and angry. It was the perfect job for me. It was only a mile from home. I had taught there for 8 years. I knew all of the kids. I am an alumni of Eustis Elementary for Pete’s sake. Why was God doing this to me? At the same time I went through a personal tragedy. I had said a prayer and asked God to please put people in my life who could help me. He did. I had to go to Tavares Middle School to find them, Dave and Katie.
I also met some fabulous students. I was lucky because my job was to go between classes and help co-teach. If a student failed a test I would re-teach and then re-test. Most days I spent putting out fires of drama. I got to spend a lot of one-on-one time acting as a therapist or a mom for the students. They would share their stories with me and I often went home in tears. My heart bled for them. I hope that I made a difference, even if it was just for the day.
As I was thinking about the job that I wanted for next year I thought, "I would like to be a Co-operative Consultation teacher." We had two teachers doing the job and I thought, "They will never leave that job. They are good at what they do." My weakest skill of my job is writing Individual Education Plans. I have wanted to learn more about how to write an effective one but I rarely had time. The training I had was on-the-job. I would usually rush through it and then the ESE specialist would change everything, so it seemed.
Today, the principal called me into the office and said that I would be teaching Co-operative Consultation next year. One of the teachers in that position would be moving to another position. I felt that my prayers had been answered. I am so excited. I will have my own office and small room. The students are allowed to leave the classroom and come to my office for assistance as one of their accommodations. I will still be able to work with them one-on-one or in small groups, which is my favorite part of my job. I'm just afraid I am gong to miss the classroom. I really liked co-teaching and being in the classroom with another teacher and the kids.
I'm sure Dave and Katie will let me come and hang out in their classroom.
2 comments:
Hooray for your new opportunity! I think it is awesome how Heavenly Father knew you wanted this and made it happen. :0)
This is wonderful, Debs. And if you need any help writing IEP's, I got pretty good at it when I was teaching SED kids in LA. Let me know if you want some "secrets"
...
Post a Comment