
You all know that I am grumpy about holidays. This comic represents how I feel abut New Year's and Resolutions. I stopped making resolutions years ago. They just seem so ridiculous to me and make me feel like a failure. Why wait until January first to decide to change your life? Not that I am against resolutions. I love them. I make resolutions all year long, as needed. How many people have made the resolution to start a diet for the New Year? Lots I tell you.
This is how it goes, at least for me. Somewhere around the day after Christmas when I have gorged myself with peanut butter chocolate Santas and Holiday M&M's, I'm sitting on the couch with the top button of my pants undone, I haven't moved much because doggonit this is my vacation. I think to myself, "Self, you are going to start a diet on New Year's." Of course, until then, I allow myself to eat anything that is slow moving. That's right, it doesn't even have to be dead. Then what happens New Year's Day? My mother says we have to have black eyed peas and pork or we will have bad luck. (Which is a lie because 2008 was overflowing with bad luck and I had my fair share the appropriate foods to ward off the evils.) After the lucky New Year's dinner, I realize the date is January first and I didn't start my diet. That's ok. I'll start tomorrow. The next day arrives and there is still Christmas candy lying around. I'll just have a little. Within minutes the idea changes to I'll start my diet on Monday when I go back to school. Do you see the insanity?
So I stopped making resolutions on New Year's Day.
It just so happens that at the end of the year I started thinking about my blog. What is my hang up? I followed the pain back to the source and realized what I was doing. I would blog and then wait for comments! That is insane. I would check as soon as I got up in the morning. (No one stayed up until 2am to comment) I would check as soon as I got to school. (Nothing) I would check on my break, I would check on my planning time, I would check on my lunch. NOTHING! What? Doesn't anyone love me and want to make a witty comment on my wonderful blog? Come on what else do you have to do? Arrgh! I finally came to my senses and realized how utterly insane this behavior was. I had to focus on the objective of my blog.
It is not to receive validation from a few friends (although it is nice, love you gals).
It is not to, when I see Brother Welling with the "J?" button on his lapel, be able to say, "Why yes I do, as a matter of fact".
My blogging objective is tri-fold: to journal and create my personal history and family history.
My resolution (not New Year's, slightly after New Year's) is to be true to the objectives of my blog.
I decided that I don't even have to have pictures for every single blog. I just need to write and allow myself to add pictures later.
See you on facebook. I check it every hour.
5 comments:
This friend cannot make witty comments, because as you know...I am NOT witty...but, I do love YOUR WITTY blog!
I love you. Period.
You have expressed how I've felt about my blog ... except I never really cared weather anyone commented. I just want to put pictures with everything made it too complicated, so I stopped doing anything because I felt I didn't have enough time to do something perfectly. I'm going to send my mom the link to your blog, because she loves to leave comments. You've inspired me to keep it simple and just blog something.
I just love reading your blogs. I always end up laughing my head off. Your blogs don't need pictures, your words keep us all captivated!
Just make every day New Year's day. I just try to make through each day with my goals some what completed. Now how do I get myself ready to move.
Post a Comment