Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Nauvoo-Day 1



I lost my driver's license a while back. I knew it was my year for renewal so I didn't replace it, instead I sent off for my new one.

The Nauvoo trip came up quick and unexpected. I thought for sure I would have my new license by then. Today came and I still didn't have it. I thought well, Roxanne can just rent the van in her name and I can still drive. I have a valid license. I just didn't have it on me. When we got down to Orlando to rent the van they needed a copy of my license. I thought, "No big deal. I have one at home in my files from where I refinanced my house a couple of years ago." I got home and went through my files. No license! I call Sister Ingalls and tell her to go ahead without me. She says she will wait and she makes me promise I will go, even if I can't drive.

Brianna Carter was at our house hanging out before time to meet at the Ingalls. I
told her and Jensen that I wasn't going to be able to go. Brianna said, "Just go get a new license. My mom did it and it was sooo fast. No big deal." I thought to myself, "yeah what does she know about the DMV? She's just a teenager. She doesn't know all of the horror stories." I decided to take her advice anyway. I had no other option. I called first to see what I needed to bring:

A certified birth certificate. Where's mine? Oh, in my family history stuff.

Certified marriage license. Got it! It was in my "Important Papers" file.

Social Security Card. Got it.

Two pieces of mail with my name on it. I grabbed the Ensign and a piece of junk mail. I get to the DMV and the junk mail is not valid. It has to be a bill or something more important than junk mail.

Me: What!?! That's not what the lady on the phone said.

DMV: I'm sorry I was at lunch.

Me:(in my mind)I know that I have to be nice to this lady because her son is going to be one of my students next year. I tell her that thinking maybe I could butter her up. No go.

DMV: I'm sorry. It's because of all of the Privacy Acts.

Me: (in my mind. Stupid terrorists) I know. It's ok.

DMV: How about a Voter's Registration?

Me: yes! I have that.

DMV: Ok, one more thing. Vehicle Registration?

Me: Ugh! Mine is at home on the table! Our car is in the shop and I have my mom's car.

DMV: check stub?

Me: Ugh! (the ugh's are always silent) I cleaned out my purse because I'm going on vacation.

DMV: I'm so sorry. Maybe the school board could fax one over.

Me: yeah, no. I could get home and get back faster thatn that could happen. (In my mind. Duh! It's another government agency) It's ok. I'll be right back.

DMV: Ok, I'll make you an appointment in case it's busy when you get back.

Me: Ok, thank you so much. (In my mind, "See the DMV can be a happy, helpful place")

My prayer on the way home. "Please God don't let me lose my cool. Let me remain calm. Let me not kill anyone. After all, this is my fault. Don't let everyone hate me for being late. I'm already 45 minutes late.)

Race home. Grab Vehicle Registration. Two pieces of mail. One from the IRS (if they know where I live then everyone does). Grab the whole bill basket. That should do it.

Go back and get my licesnse. Done! I chit-chat with the lady about her son and give her some tips about his education. Hopefully, when we meet at meetings she won't cower in the corner and scream "There's that crazy lady!" I really did a good job at containing myself.

I stop by my mother's to fax it to the rental company. I get to the Ingalls and we leave. (An hour and a half late)

After all of that, I feel that the rest of the day was uneventful.

We stopped in Cordele, Georgia for dinner. We drive to Cartersville, Georgia for the night. The motel was new and beautiful. Some of the kids wanted to stay there the whole time. We were disappointed because we didn't make it further. I feel like an idiot because it was my fault.

Guess what arrives in the mail the next day? That's right! My driver's license. Ugh! (not silent)

1 comment:

Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

I would have been ready to kill someone after all that!! Good job keeping your cool. And I'm glad you got to go. :0)