I haven't been posting because other things have been taking precedence. I thought I needed to write this one for my posterity. The other night I was having dinner at my mother's. We started talking about names. She said that my biological father picked my name. He didn't like the names she had picked out. My sister, Melissa, was supposed to be Jennifer but my couldn't remember what she had picked out for me.
She told me that I was named after her great aunt. Apparently, it was quite the scandal. My mother was practically raised by here grandmother, Charlotte Gunter. Charlotte always talked about an older sister, Carey, that was put on a train and sent away and was never heard from again. Charlotte was young at the time and didn't know what was going on but she always talked about Carey to my mother. My mother gave me her name as my middle name. We know what happened to young women back then when there was a scandal. They were shipped away but they usually came back in nine months. She is not listed in any of my genealogy. Hmmm! That is going to be a tricky one.
I told her that I liked my middle name and the way she had spelled it, Carey. She said, "No" it's Cary. I said, "What? All of these years I have spelled it with an "e". She said, "No, I'm pretty sure it is Cary." I said I would go home and look at my birth certificate. Of course, now I can't find it because my kitchen is in my bedroom and in my living room and everywhere else. I can't find anything. Stay tuned for who I really am...
Mystery solved. I just looked in my genealogy and found my birth certificate. Good place fot it, huh? It is Carey. Whew! I feel whole again.
No comments:
Post a Comment