
I have been wanting to do another 5k since the first one I did for MLK day last year. I was going to start back in September but apparently I wanted my appendix out worse than I wanted to run a 5k. Again, I was going to be waylayed this season by having to take ESOL classes on Saturdays. Miracle upon miracles, my colleague and I showed up for the ESOL class last Saturday and were told that we could not stay because there were no seats available. Aww! I'm not sad about that.
The planets finally aligned and I had a Saturday morning free and there was a 5k going on at my local YMCA. (Yes, evertime I say or write YMCA I do it with the sing song and hand gestures of the Village People). An added bouns was that my friend Roxanne Ingalls was also available. I had heard that she was an avid 5k'er so I invited her to join me. She said she would run with me. I told her she didn't have to, she could run her own race, but she insisted which I'm glad she did. We arrived at the race site in freezing Florida temperatures. At the beginning there were only a handful of participants. Eventually more and more showed. I could tell by the crowd that I had last place all tied up. It's ok I was only doing this for a benchmark and a motivator. We watched as the people assmebled. The smart-alecks that were running the course already as a warm up. Luckily most of the participants were modestly dressed because of the cold weather. Except for, the men in there stretchy pants. (Come on, at least let us guess.)
We started out at a slow jog. I think only because of peer pressure. I felt the need to stay with the pack. I started getting shin splints. When I finally realized that there was no catching the pack, we just walked briskly. I realized just how much work I needed to do. I have slowly been walking about three miles 3 or 4 times a week but I need to step it up.
We were asked twice if we were going to finish the race. What? Of course, we are. Loser. How dare you ask such nonsense. The race truck asked us. They were cleaing up the signs and cones. We told them that we would do it for them. They were relieved that they did not have to hang around any longer to wait on us. Like they have better things to do. Whatever.
We finished the race and had wonderful conversation. What better way to start a Saturday. Thanks, Roxanne.
3 comments:
Yeah for you guys! If I would have known, I would have come and cheered :)
What an accomplishment! I probably would have been a walker myself. I think I walk faster than I jog.
Good job ladies.
Post a Comment