I know I am experiencing emotional turmoil. Talking about my feelings and myself is new for me. Before, I would never share anything. I was always the listener. Now I am trying to open up and share and trust people. I am always worried that I will be seen as a downer, Debbie Downer.
The other day, one of the headlines on AOL was, "Emotional Vampires: The 5 Most Common Types -- And How to Slay Them". I immediately thought. "Oh no! I hope that is not me" I had to read the article and take the test.
"Emotional vampires are people who can drain your energy and suck you dry. They are the people who make your mood take a nosedive, who you feel sick or tired around -- you may even want to binge on comfort foods. Basically, it's a person who changes your mood for the worse just by being around.
Of the five types -- Narcissistic, Victim, Controller, Constant talker, and Drama Queen -- I would say that the victim is the most common."
I had to ask myself, "Am I narcissistic?" I don't think so. Like I said, I'm a listener. I let the other person speak. "Am I controlling?" Maybe my husband and my kids, but I never try to control my friends. "Am I the constant talker?" No, like I said, this is a new skill for me. And I definitely am not the Drama Queen. I abhor drama and don't care to be around it.
The only thing left is the victim. Maybe I am a little of that. The article's definition is, "That's the friend you have who keeps you on the phone for two hours complaining about everything, but she never seems to do anything about how miserable she is." I definitely don't talk on the phone for two hours. I am not a phone person at all. Maybe I complain too much about my misery. But I am trying to do something about it. I am trying to make changes. I have tried to make my support network fairly wide. I try to spread out the love to several people that way I don't hold one person captive.
So if I have been an emotional vampire, I'm sorry. There really is a Good-time Debbie still alive and well and I can talk about other things. Don't worry I won't suck you dry with my sad story. I try to share the good with the bad. Sometimes I might get stuck and need a push out of the mud.
This blog might have become an emotional vampire but just think, with one click you will be set free.
2 comments:
I don't think you are an emotional vampire. The "victim" thinks they have been wronged in every situation, no matter what is going on in their life. You are dealing with some heavy burdens right now!! Talking about how you feel helps you work through it, and there is nothing wrong with that. I'm not a phone person either, but I would be happy to listen.
You are DEFINITELY not an emotional vampire. And you are not a victim. You are on the road to being a survivor. And I love it when you open up even a little bit to me, so I am pretty sure your other friends feel the same way. I just feel ripped off because I can't meet you at Sonic and get a fresh fruit freeze float.
Post a Comment