Sunday, July 3, 2011

Guilty Parent Syndrome (GPS)



This is a textbook case of what I have diagnosed as Guilty Parent Syndrome. After the last year and with me having to work two jobs, I feel guilt.

It was time for a visit to my friend, Elaine (Ellie Mae Clampett). Since I had a workshop in Howey, I thought that is half-way so I will go visit her one of those days. I had her pick up Jensen in Howey and then I went over afterwards. Jensen spent the night and I went back Tuesday to pick her up. In the meantime, Jensen fell in love with Red. Elaine had rescued Red from a neighbor who was neglecting him. Jensen begged and begged for Red to come home with us. I tried to dissuade her. "What about Daisy? What about Otto? There will not be enough love to go around". "Who will take him for walks?" "Who will clean up after him?" She said, with big sad eyes, that she would do all of that. I'm thinking, while I roll my eyes "Yeah, right."

She said that she was responsible. I had to agree with her on that one. I often say that she is the most responsible person in this house, including me. All week long, she cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. She washed dishes, washed clothes, cleaned the front porch, cleaned the back porch, and cleaned the back yard. I should have held out for more chores being done, but on Friday night, Red came home with us. Crazy? I know. But who can say, "No?" to Jensen? I'm such a pushover. At least I don't feel guilt anymore.

1 comment:

Melody said...

I'm glad to see that you have 'sucker' tattoed on your forehead just like me.