Today I went to the temple. I haven't been in several months, too many months. The underlying reasons being that I haven't felt very Christlike and then a series of unfortunate events that were poor choices on my part. (Don't judge me). I thought since so much time had passed and I had worked through lots of issues, that I would be ok. Not so much.
It was actually bittersweet. The bitter part being that I was flooded with emotions of grieving. The sweet part being that I ran into a friend that created a blast from the past.
When I was baptized at the age of 10, I had the most amazing Branch President, Evan D. Porter, Jr. and he had the most amazing wife, Janine. They had the most amazing marriage. I remember, as a youth, thinking that I wanted my marriage to be just like theirs. They were so in love and so committed to the gospel. In my mind, they were perfect. President Porter was an amazing leader. When he spoke to me I felt like he was talking to my soul. He could see inside. I wanted to do what was right so as not to disappoint him. The counsel that he gave to me in my youth was a major reason that I made the correct choices that I did.
President Porter was there when the Branch became a Ward. Then they moved to Kissimmee. He became the Stake President. He had a lot to do with the planning of the Orlando Temple. He helped to find the property and met with planning and zoning commissioners. I'm not sure if he got to enjoy the temple when he was on this earth. He passed away from cancer 19 years ago this week. President Porter was the type of person that I know Heavenly Father wants working close to him so I am sure that is why he died at such a young age. He had much work to do.
It seems like every time I go to the temple, I think of the Porters. Yesterday was no exception. I sat down in the chapel and saw a lady that looked like Janine. I thought, "Nah, that can't be her. She lives in Arizona now." When we got to the next room, I could see her face and knew it was her. I sat beside her and cried the whole time. After the session, we were able to chat and catch up. It was a wonderful visit. She told me about her kids that I use to babysit. It's hard to believe so much time has passed. She also told me that she just retired from being a middle school teacher.
Although I loved seeing her, it was a difficult reminder that I never achieved the type of marriage that she had. We still have a lot in common. We both lost our husbands, we both love our children, we both are middle school teachers, we are both daughters of God, we both went to the temple yesterday and most important I have to remind myself that I still have all of the same promised blessings.
Today was not a coincidence.
4 comments:
Evan Porter was my stake president, and he was absolutely AMAZING. I will always remember one stake conference when he said he couldn't wait for the second coming, and was so excited about it! Truly a man who was ready to leave this earth. I'm so glad you got to see Janine, it's always wonderful to see an old friend in the temple. :0)
I am so happy that you went to the temple. I thought your summary of the things you both do was wonderful. Such great perspective:)
The right place at the right time. Heavenly Father loves you.
Good choice to go! Glad you were so richly blessed and glad you got to see an old friend
Post a Comment